With the hot days of summer, and becoming a new mom, some days I need a cool afternoon treat with a side of caffeine. And an Affogato is the perfect (and easy!) solution!
If you have never had an Affogato before, it is an Italian treat that means “drowned” where essentially you are drowning ice cream with coffee. The hot coffee melts some of the ice cream and creates a deliciously thick foam on top. Yes, please! And with only a few ingredients, that you probably already have on hand, it is super easy to make!
Different options for your coffee
There are a few different ways that you can incorporate coffee into this recipe – you can use freshly brewed hot coffee, espresso, cold brew, or even just your extra morning coffee cooled down a bit. If you prefer to have more ice cream and less “creamer” then you will want to use cold brew coffee or at least cool your coffee down a bit before mixing it in.
Since I like when the ice cream gets all melty and delicious, I used hot, freshly brewed coffee. My go-to favorite blend Cameron’s Toasted Southern Pecan was perfect for this recipe because it added a slight nutty flavor while remaining smooth and creamy!
We always have Nutella on hand, because Manuel is obsessed, so I used that as my chocolate sauce. You can use anything that you want for a topping – caramel or chocolate sauce, cocoa powder, crushed nuts, toasted coconut, sea salt, etc….
- Cameron’s Coffee in your favorite blend / flavor (I highly recommend the Toasted Southern Pecan)
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Toppings of Choice
- Gather all your ingredients together.
- Warm the Nutella slightly so it is a bit more liquid.
- Brew your coffee.
- Swirl the tops of the glasses in Nutella
- Add two scoops of ice cream to your glass (depending on the glass size, there is no right or wrong amount here!)
- Pour the coffee over the ice cream
- Drizzle Nutella over the top, add in straws and ENJOY!